Beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, Clegern Elementary School will be a hybrid model for enrollment by giving priority placement to students within a small neighborhood boundary, priority placement for younger siblings of currently enrolled students, and lottery draws from our open application period. Detailed guidelines are below under Current Guidelines for Clegern Enrollment.
We will be accepting separate applications for the Capital View/Clegern Neighborhood Boundaries (Boulevard to Rankin and 2nd to 9th). The neighborhood application period is from January 22nd, 2019 to February 1st, 2019. Applications are available in the Clegern office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day of the open application period.
We will continue to enroll students from the lottery in Clegern Elementary; you must apply each year to be entered in the lottery (randomized drawing). The lottery application window begins on January 28, 2019, and ends on Friday, February 8, 2019, at 4 p.m. The lottery drawing will be held on February 12 and all applicants will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the wait list by mid-March 2019. Applications are available in the Clegern office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day of the open application period. For any other specific questions, you can call (405) 340-2955. The application period to be entered into the lottery drawing for the 2019-2020 school year will close February 8, 2019, at 4 p.m.
Current Guidelines for Clegern Enrollment
- Changes in Clegern’s current student attendance procedures will begin with the 2019-2020 kindergarten class and add an ascending grade level each following year until the new attendance process is fully implemented.
- Attendance at Clegern will be a hybrid model, first allowing the defined neighborhood attendance area priority, next adding kindergarten, or tag-a-long siblings of enrolled students and then filling in the remaining class numbers with students on the application wait list.
- Requests for neighborhood students to attend Clegern in the school year 2019-20, will begin January 22, 2019 and end February 1, 2019. The forms will be available at the Clegern principal’s office. Neighborhood students who do not apply to attend Clegern during the sign up period, or who move into Clegern after the deadline will have to wait until the next year’s sign up period to apply.
- All current Clegern students will be allowed to continue their attendance at Clegern. All younger sibling tag-a-longs not yet currently in kindergarten will be allowed to be enrolled in Clegern as long as there is a sibling at the school at the time the kindergarten sibling is in attendance. All other siblings of students previously enrolled in Clegern have to continue to apply for attendance at Clegern annually.
- Until the time the attendance policy is fully implemented, if openings occur in grade levels, students in the neighborhood attendance area on the wait list will have the first opportunity to fill the open student slot in order of a random selection procedure. If no neighborhood student chooses to fill the slot, that opening will be filled by first, a sibling tag-a-long on the wait list and then a lottery student on the wait list.
- If a neighborhood or lottery student requires special services that are not available at Clegern, that student may be assigned to another district school which could meet the needs of the student. (This is current practice in all schools).
(January 18, 2019)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a “Parent Choice School”?
Any family living in the Edmond Public School District may submit an application for their children to attend Clegern Elementary. We have a lottery every February for open positions and maintain a wait list throughout the year.
I live in the Clegern neighborhood. Do I still have to submit an application?
I live outside of the Edmond School district. Can my children attend Clegern Elementary?
No. You must live within the Edmond Public School district.
What makes Clegern different from other schools?
At Clegern, we provide a rich and comprehensive educational program that is complimented by our Core Knowledge curriculum as the common instructional sequence. A variety of teaching approaches and methods allow us to serve the different learning styles of students. Students at Clegern learn in an environment that fosters cooperation, mutual respect and individual responsibility.
Parents support our school through volunteer hours and an active PTA. High expectations for students have helped us earn an “A+” on our School Report Card from the Oklahoma Department of Education.
What is Core Knowledge?
The Core Knowledge sequence is a detailed outline of specific content to be taught in science, math, history, geography, language arts and fine arts. Visit the Core Knowledge website for more detailed information.
How does the lottery system work?
The lottery is a random drawing of applications. It takes place at the Edmond Public Schools Administrative Center under the supervision of the Director of Elementary Education. It is recorded for any future reference needs. Each application is assigned a number as it is drawn. The lowest numbers are assigned the available spaces at Clegern. Remaining applications are placed on a waiting list according to their assigned numbers, lowest numbers first.
Do children of Edmond Public Schools employees get preference?
The Edmond school district decided from the 2003-2004 school year forward that the only children of Edmond Public Schools employees that get preference are those of Clegern teachers.
Can I increase my chances if I get my application in early?
No. No preference is given to the order applications are received.
When can I fill out an application for the lottery?
Applications are usually taken the last week of January and the first week of February. Call in early January or check this website to be sure.
I missed the lottery. Can I still get on the waiting list?
What do I bring with me when I fill out a lottery application?
If you live within the neighborhood boundaries; please bring proof of residency (id or deed/lease). If you are applying for the open lottery; you’ll just fill out a short application so you do not need to bring records.
What happens if my child doesn’t get placed?
Your child will be placed on our waiting list. You will be notified if a placement becomes available for your child.
How long does my application stay on the wait list?
Applications stay on the waiting list until the next year’s lottery.
Does the waiting list carry over to the next school year?
No. Serious consideration was given to that at one time. However, it was determined to be a logistical impossibility and would penalize families who are new to Edmond.
Once my child is in Clegern, do I have to reapply every year?
No. They automatically have placement through 5th grade.
What if only one of my children gets in?
Siblings of children placed and enrolled at Clegern are given priority status for their respective grade.
Does Clegern have bus service?
My older child is already attending Clegern. When his younger sibling starts kindergarten, will he/she have to go through the lottery?
If you currently have a child in kindergarten-4th grade, then your child coming into kindergarten is given priority status and you do not have to be a part of the lottery.
My older children attended Clegern and their younger sibling is ready to start kindergarten. Will he/she still have preference even though his/her siblings are no longer at Clegern?
I attended Clegern. Will my child have to go through the lottery?
Does Clegern have before and after school care?
Does Clegern have an Enrichment program?
Does Clegern have a Learning Disabilities Lab?
Does Clegern have a Pre-K program?
No. However, Clegern’s Principal is also the Principal at Clyde Howell Early Childhood Center where many of our students have attended Pre-K.
My child goes to Clyde Howell Pre-K. Does that mean he/she is automatically accepted at Clegern?
Can I download an application online?
Yes. For applicants within the neighborhood boundaries, click here.
All other applicants, click here.
Can I turn in my application online?